Citizens Theatre Limited
Citizens Theatre Limited is Glasgow’s oldest theatre company, located in the Gorbals They work hard to connect with local families, senior citizens and young people through live performance and participatory drama projects offering incentives for the local community to engage with theatre life.
The funding from Crerar Trust willenable them to invite pupils from two neighbouring primary schools to attend the Christmas show at a highly subsidised rate.
Live theatre arguably has the power to chance and transform the lives of everyone who engages with it. The Citizens Theatre building has operated as a theatre for 137 years and, as a company, Citizens Theatre Limited take great pride in their place in the Gorbals Community. They work hard to connect with local families, senior citizens and young people through live performance and participatory drama projects and offer a number of incentives for the local community to engage with them and to feel part of the life of the wonderful, unique cultural venue.
The Gorbals has one of the highest incidences of child poverty in Scotland. For many of the local children this opportunity to attend our Christmas show will constitute their first ever experience of live theatre and, for many, without this subsidised rate, their families would never be able to afford for them to go and be a part of their festive season.
As part of their ongoing commitment to the local community, every Christmas Citizens Theatre Limited fundraise so as to be able to invite pupils from the two neighbouring primary schools, St Francis Primary School and Blackfriars Primary School, to attend their Christmas show at a highly subsidised rate (a nominal sum of 50p per ticket). Thanks to the generosity of our funders and supporters, last year they we were able to provide over 600 of these tickets, ensuring that every single pupil from each school was able to come and share the magic of Christmas at the Citizens Theatre.
‘This is an excellent opportunity for our children all to experience a trip to the theatre and a Christmas Panto. Many off our children’s’ families would not be able to afford to take them to an event like this and as a school we could not afford to pay for so many children to attend this either. We are therefore extremely grateful to the Citz and its supporters for being able to make this happen’
Sharon McGeever, Head Teacher, St Francis Primary
The support from Crerar Trust will enable the Citizens to:
- Offer disadvantaged children who may not otherwise have the opportunity to visit the theatre and share in the magic of Christmas.
- Encourage our local community to become more involved in the creative life of the citizens.
- Grow a new generation of theatre-goers.
- Increase the diversity of audiences.
- Strengthen community partnerships and contribute to the economic and social wellbeing of the neighbourhood.
- Continue to provide high quality art for young people across the city.
- Raise the profile of the citizens as a cultural destination worthy of investment and collaboration.
- Continue to develop the work of Citizens learning and further be embedded in the lives of the local community.
- Cement the theatre and its work within the wider regeneration of the area.